HCSB: 2nd Edition text available

A big HT to Robert Jimenez at Inquiring Minds who discovered that the long-awaited 2nd Edition of the HCSB is currently available electronically for WORDsearch or Bible Explorer software. The base software appears to be free, but the translation module will cost you just under $20.

Rick Mansfield noted a few weeks ago that the translation itself was completed, while Will at Anwoth confirmed an October 2009 publishing date.

From the sample text provided by WORDsearch, here are the differences from the opening chapter of Genesis between the 1st (2004) and 2nd Edition texts:

1st Edition 2nd Edition
25 So God made the wildlife of the earth according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and creatures that crawl on the ground according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness. They will rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the animals, all the earth, and the creatures that crawl on the earth.
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness. They will rule the fish of the sea, the birds of the sky, the livestock, all the earth, and the creatures that crawl on the earth.

As you can see, with just one change in 31 verses (Gen 1:1-31), the revision appears limited in scope. In this case, the text in v.26 has been edited from “animals” to “livestock”, presumably to be in concordance with v.25.

Robert reports a change in 1 Timothy 1, but notes that overall the changes were less significant than he’d hoped.

Update:

For more info and commentary on the HCSB 2nd Edition, check out the following links:

This entry was posted in Faith & Theology, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted January 1, 2009 at 8:56 AM | Permalink

I think one needs to get into the more complex passages. I mean if they had tons of revisions in a rather simple chapter such as Genesis 1 I would not be able to trust the translation.

Maybetoday.org found that 46 out of the 155 verses in the book of Ephesians have changes in this revision – some of them non-trivial but still maybe a better representation.

2. Posted January 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM | Permalink

I am eager to see if they changed the “happy” rendering in Psa 1:1 and also if anything was revised in Php 2:2 in relation to the “sharing the same feelings” rendering. Those were 2 that really bugged me.

3. Posted January 1, 2009 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

Perhaps we can get Robert to look those verses up since he bought the updated module – or if my interest is piqued enough, I’ll download the software and check it out myself! I’m also curious about the reported increase in the use of “Yahweh” in the OT.

4. Posted January 1, 2009 at 3:55 PM | Permalink

ElShaddai, I would be more than happy to accommodate any requests regarding differences in the 2nd edition. I also posted my personal gripes with the HCSB 1st and 2nd edition.

You can download Bible Explorer for free, and the cost for the HCSB is only $20.00 so it’s not a bad deal at all. I just couldn’t wait!

5. Posted January 1, 2009 at 7:36 PM | Permalink

BTW – I think the HCSB2e text might be had for $10 from WORDsearch. I know the web site says $20, but the InstaVerse interface has it for $10, and I would guess you could get it for that by calling sales as well. If you’re not familiar with InstaVerse, it’s a great little (free) lightweight Bible reader from WORDsearch that pops up when you hover over things that look like Bible refs in browsers, MSWord, etc. Very cool, but flaky under Vista. Uses the same book file as Bible Explorer & WORDsearch.

Joe – I’m afraid both Psa 1.1 & Phi 2.2 are identical between editions.

ElShaddai – I’ve actually been looking at the usage in the 2nd edition of “Yahweh,” and I can tell you that there has been significant increase in it: the 1st edition has 78 occurrences in 72 verses; the 2nd edition has 495 occurrences in 451 verses. I posted a table on my site earlier today showing the verses within the Torah that use “Yahweh” (131 times in 114 verses), with indications of where the 1st edition already used it (12 verses).

6. Posted January 1, 2009 at 9:21 PM | Permalink

Thanks John,

Downloading it right now to check it out, and the price. My main Bible program is e-sword, I am waiting to hear if they have a ETA on providing the updated text.

Since we wont get a printed version until 2009, anyone know of a easy way to print our own personal copy?

7. Posted January 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM | Permalink

I just saw the changes made in Ephesians. Some are quite good, while others are still questionable.

I can’t understand retaining “inner man” at 3:16. Why not “inner self” or “inner being” (ESV).

8. Posted January 4, 2009 at 6:57 AM | Permalink

@John: thanks for the tips on InstaVerse. If I decide to buy the updated text, I’ll have to check that out! Thanks also for the “Yahweh” comparison – this has been one of the unique features of this translation, especially considering that the next edition of the NJB is likely to revert to more traditional language.

9. Supporter of Truth
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 2:13 AM | Permalink

Exodus 12:40 in the 1st edition is incorrect, even with the supplied footnote. The verse with the footnote reads:

“The time that the Israelites lived in Egypt [a] was 430 years.”
    a. “Exodus 12:40 LXX, Sam add ‘and in Canaan’”

Here, the text is incomplete and incorrect; in this rendering, the verse stands contradictory to Galatians 3:17. There exist no legitimate contradictions within the inspired Word of God whatsoever, and none have ever been found. This instance is no different. The Samaritan Pentateuch, the Septuagint, and Josephus’ “Antiquities of the Jews” (all more ancient than the earliest extant copy of the Masoretic text) are all correct here in providing the full understanding of the original text which harmonizes excellently with the rest of the Bible. All three of these ancient and highly respected sources indicate that the verse should read:

“The time that the Israelites and their fathers lived in Egypt and in Canaan was 430 years.”

I hope the 2nd (or a subsequent) edition of the HCSB will restore this correct original reading of the text, including both of the two passages “and their fathers” and “and in Canaan.”

Please see the following scholarly article for an in-depth explanation and study of this horrible blunder in the Masoretic text which has unfortunately influenced the vast majority (if not all) of the dominant translations of our day.

“How Long was the Israelites’ Egyptian Sojourn?”
    by Alden Bass, Bert Thompson, Ph.D., and Kyle Butt, M.A.

• Posted February 26, 2009 at 7:25 AM | Permalink

I didn’t find any translation that had that particular rendering. Which, if any have it that way?

I’m not sure if this note from the ESVSB (Gal 3:17) will help or not but I will leave it her for others to think about.

“Paul is apparently referring to the Septuagint translation of Ex. 12:40, “The dwelling of the children of Israel . . . in Egypt and in Canaan was 430 years,” which would mean 430 years from Abraham to the exodus (the Hb. text does not include “and in Canaan”). Another explanation is that Paul is not counting the time from the first statement of the promise to Abraham but from the last affirmation of that promise to Jacob before he went to Egypt in Gen. 46:3–4. This method would then count the entire time in Egypt as the time from the “promise” to the “law.” If this is so, then Paul is relying on the Hebrew text of Ex. 12:40 to affirm a 430-year stay in Egypt.”

10. Supporter of Truth
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 9:06 PM | Permalink

Hi Joe, thanks for your comments here. I haven’t been able to find any popular translations with that rendering, either. All of them seem to be based on the Masoretic text of the Old Testament (Hebrew OT), which omits this information.

I hope you’ll read that article I referenced at the end of my comments above. It really is interesting. It provides clear, valuable, and enlightening information on this discussion.

The article shows from OT Scriptures how “there is a maximum of 352 years available for the sojourn in Egypt, whatever that sojourn might encompass. There simply is no way around that fact.”

The article quotes Adam Clarke in explaining that both the Samaritan Pentateuch and the Alexandrian copy of the Septuagint in Exodus 12:40 read, “Now the sojourning of the children of Israel and of their fathers, which they sojourned in the land of Canaan and in the land of Egypt was 430 years.”

Notice the two bits of information that the Masoretic text omits. The 450 years encompassed the sojourning of the children of Israel “and of their fathers,” and the sojourning was “in the land of Canaan and” in the land of Egypt.

After a careful examination of all the evidence (biblical and extra-biblical), and before a final rejoinder, the article summarizes the point with a quote from chronologist Harold W. Hoehner. “In conclusion, the 430 years went from Abraham’s call to the Exodus. The first 215 years was their sojourn in Palestine and the last 215 years in Egypt. The 400 years was from the weaning of Isaac to the time of the Exodus.”

Basically, I hope that the HCSB will include these two missing bits of information in subsequent publications. I hope they will appear in the text itself, and not merely in a footnote. But I hope, at minimum, the translators will at least add a footnote explaining that these other ancient texts and testimony of Josephus contain “and of their fathers,” as well.

11. Supporter of Truth
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 9:09 PM | Permalink

Haha, oops! I meant to say 430 years in that 5th paragraph.

One Trackback

• [...] For a bit more information on the release of HCSB 2nd edition read here. Also ElShaddai Edwards at He is Sufficient has been compiling a list of other that have posted about the HCSB 2nd [...]