Meme: The Honest Scrap Award

After getting passed over for a few rounds, I’ve finally been picked tagged with the latest blog meme: The Honest Scrap Award (HT: Kevin and Gary). Here are the rules:  share 10 honest things about yourself, and then tag 7 bloggers to return the favor.

My list:

1. I think that the Bible in translation has as much authority as “the Bible” in its original languages.
  2. Although I went to grade school, junior high and some high school with Lincoln Brewster and Jewel, I don’t have any strong memories of them.
  3. Verbal communication is not my strength – if you want me to do something, write it down. And even then…
  4. As long as you’re not an escapist, your views on eschatology don’t bother me – unless you’re mixing up politics and theology.
  5. It bothers me that the cross is not centered on our church’s main stage.
  6. I grew up in a youth group with Sarah Palin’s foremost Alaskan critic (and I agree with her – not Ms. Palin – more often than not).
  7. I haven’t played my trombone since Easter.
  8. Tortilla chips and salsa are the new manna.
  9. I primarily studied physics and astrophysics in college for two years before switching to be a music major. I vicariously live out the former focus through science fiction books and movies.
  10. The thing I miss the most about Alaska is not the mountains or the water, but seeing the expanse of the Milky Way against the absolute blackness of a clear winter night.

As for seven bloggers to tag in return, I’m going to appeal to my stats and tag the last seven blogs that sent links my way (if they’ve already done the meme, I’ll provide the direct link):

1. New Epistles (Kevin)
  2. Bible Design Blog (Mark)
  3. New Leaven (TC)
  4. Baker Book House Church Connection
  5. Scripture Zealot (Jeff)
  6. The Sundry Times (Gary)
  7. Anwoth (Will)
This entry was posted in Faith & Theology. Bookmark the permalink. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.

1. Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:20 PM | Permalink

I gotta chew on that one. That’s a lot of responsibility for translators to carry. I can’t begin to imagine the implications of that statement.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM | Permalink

Fair enough, but be sure to chew on the difference between authority and inspiration as well…

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:46 PM | Permalink

Well, I’ve done some more chew, and I get your point. Fair enough. But responsible Bible translation, I say.

• Posted July 23, 2009 at 1:51 PM | Permalink

Of course – one of the biggest rules I learned was to choose a committee translation. The one-translator versions are interesting and can have great insight, but inevitably haven’t been through the same type of accountability review that a larger translation team provides.

2. Posted July 23, 2009 at 2:49 PM | Permalink

8. Tortilla chips and salsa are the new manna.

You and my wife must be related. Nice list.

3. Posted July 23, 2009 at 4:34 PM | Permalink

#1. Amen

#4 is very insightful

Thank you for thinking of me but I already posted mine yesterday. If you want something done yesterday, for once it actually happened.
    Jeff

4. Posted July 24, 2009 at 7:24 AM | Permalink

It bothers me that the cross is not centered on our church’s main stage.

That might be a good thing in some cases. At my former cong, some of us had the idea of cutting the bottom of the cross off several feet to make room for Ppt project under the cross. But cutting the cross wouldn’t have been too popular with the older folks.

• Posted July 24, 2009 at 8:42 AM | Permalink

But cutting the cross wouldn’t have been too popular with the older folks.

LOL – there are actually three screens over/around our stage and the cross is off to the side. It’s the result of expansion and reorientation of the stage to the sitting area, but it still rubs me wrong.

5. Posted July 24, 2009 at 10:39 PM | Permalink

#8 – Right you are, brother!